With the cooler weather, visits to the children’s dentist for back-to-school checkups and busy mornings rushing to catch the school bus, fall can be a busy time for kids and parents. The perfect way to relax and enjoy the change in seasons is by doing fun fall crafts with the kids. Crafts provide a great opportunity for kids to get creative as well as get outside to collect some supplies that can be used to make their projects.
Personalized Fall Coasters
Fall coasters are easy to make and they are the perfect craft for little hands.
What you’ll need:
- 4-inch square ceramic tiles
- Decoupage glue
- Clean the tiles with a damp cloth and allow to dry.
- Let the children use a marker to write their name on the top of a ceramic tile.
- Allow the marker ink to dry before proceeding.
- Using a paintbrush, apply a layer of decoupage glue to the top of a ceramic tile.
- Attach a leaf in the center of the tile.
- Apply a thin layer of decoupage glue over the top and outside of the leaf.
- Allow glue to dry and apply three or four more coats of decoupage glue.
- Cut a piece of felt to fit the back of the tile and glue in place using decoupage glue.
After visiting the kids’ dentist, take a walk in the park or around the neighborhood to collect a variety of items from nature, such as pine cones, acorns, leaves and twigs. The best thing about this fall wreath is there is no right or wrong way to make it and you can use whatever items you have on hand to decorate it.
Basic supplies needed:
- Foam ring
- Tissue paper or construction paper
- Decoration items (leaves, flowers, pine cones, etc.)
- Glue tissue paper or construction paper around the foam ring.
- Cover the outside of the tissue/construction paper by using glue to attach the items found during your walk.
Gather a variety of items from the yard and around the house, get creative and allow the kids to use their imagination. Using recycled items is a fun way to get children to use their imagination. For example, the children’s dentist will often give them a new toothbrush during their visit, but instead of tossing the old one, wash it with soap and water, allow it to dry and use it as a paintbrush. Dental floss can also be used to hang decorative items on a fall themed mobile.